First produced in the late 1920s, this ware proved to be one of the Shorter pottery's most popular lines.
No designs for this ware have been found in the Shorter factory papers however contemporary sources attribute the design to Clarice Cliff, who worked at the sister factories of A J Wilkinson and the Newport Pottery (also owned by the Shorter family). Further evidence of her association with this ware lies in the photographs and cuttings she preserved in her scrapbook, including one from "The Quiver" in 1936. This states 'The fish set illustrated, designed by Clarice Cliff, ... is in a delicious matt cream glaze in pottery and has only softly subdued turquoise fins as colour accent'. There is now some dispute as to the connection with Clarice, but we only report what is known so far.
Decoration and Range Development
The earliest sets, described above, comprised a large serving plate and six medium sized 8" plates. By 1936 a sauce boat and stand, a covered dish, an extra large plate known as a "Pike" and a crescent shaped salad dish had been added, (it appears in "The Quiver" illustration). Other additions are circular plates in two sizes, 6" & 10", a salad bowl and servers; a wavy edged hors d’oeuvre dish with a fish shaped sauce pot; and in 1957 a double serving dish in which two fish face each other and a pair of fish cruets on a wavy dish. The last addition was a double dish in which the fish swim side by side. In the 1950's a high glaze finish and colour combinations in turquoise, mauve, grey, green and yellow, occasionally striped, were used.